Wednesday, June 07, 2006

My Favorite Article at the Carnival of Debt Reduction

Gosh I hope this works - I am so frustrated right now with Blogger since I can't seem to get into my blog when I want to and now I'm having a hard time posting. I think Blogging Away Debt needs a new home.

I didn't participate in the Carnival of Debt Reduction this week. Last week I have been saving my energy to work my jobs this week and everything else (including this blog) has been put on the back burner.

But I am feeling better this week and I read all of the articles and I enjoyed the one at Free Money Finance about Paying Debt Versus Establishing an Emergency Fund. Free Money Finance shares my opinion and backs it better than I could :)

I mentioned a while back that I wasn't going to save up an emergency fund before paying down my debt. I didn't see the point of taking months to save it up when I am paying interest on my credit cards during that time. If an emergency arises, then I still have the cards to use if I need to.

Credit cards are not horrible, even though I have called them "evil" more than a few times in my life. They do serve a purpose and can be helpful if you use them responsibly. I hear awesome stories of people making money and earning free trips from their credit cards. They use it for everyday purchases and then pay the balance in full every month. Would I like to be one of those people someday? Yes, I would.

Key word is being responsible.

2 comments:

Mollysbrother said...

Have you ever thought of at least starting a baby emergency fund? Maybe--or at least--$500? That could give you some breathing room.

I know. This isn't easy.

Blog it away!

BAD said...

I have thought of a baby emergency fund, but I just can't justify it in my mind right now. Perhaps once I can situate my credit card debt with very low interest rates I could be able to.

I can't help it - I want the debt gone too bad :)

Thanks for stopping by!