Sunday, May 07, 2006

Why My Son Will Not Have His College Education Paid in Full

This has been sort of a hot topic, so I am going to share my thoughts on it from my experience.

I was fortunate enough to be at the top of my graduating class and as a result I received a full tuition scholarship to a great college. My parents were generous enough to pay for my room and board. So here I was going to college and didn't have to worry about anything except for some discretionary spending money.

It didn't take me long to start screwing everything up.

Drinking, drugs, partying – you name it I probably was doing it. It's an area of my life that I am not particularly proud of because I basically lost some valuable months of my life. I am also lucky that I didn't die or have something horrible happen to me because I was just asking for it by my actions.

I probably don't have to say it, but my grades were horrible. A 1.9 GPA my first quarter and a 0.75 GPA my second quarter. I was on "academic probation." Then I received a letter stating that one more time on probation and I would lose my scholarship and be kicked out of college. At the same time, my mom and dad couldn't afford to pay more room & board (unrelated to my grades because I tried to keep that hidden from them). Everything I was relying on to be able to party and have fun was being taken away from me.

Long story short - I did end up getting my act together and I didn't get kicked out of school. I don't want to make it sound like every kid that gets his or her college education paid in full is going to screw things up. My point is that with my experience - I took advantage of the situation and didn't appreciate what I had in front of me. I wasn't paying my way so it didn't mean as much.

I want the best for my son when he's old enough to go to college (if he wants to). I think a valuable life lesson is learned when you contribute to something that you want to do instead of having it given to you. It means more and you value it more. I want my son to have a good life, but he has to want it and be willing to work hard for it.

Mom and Dad will definitely help, but he will need to do his part with paying for college. I think he will be an overall better person for having to do so.

Post included in the Carnival of Debt Reduction #47 at Blueprint for Financial Prosperity

5 comments:

freedumb said...

Wow, great post man! I feel the same way...but now that you've written this, I'm thinking even if they get a full ride and everything they need, with good parenting, they will realize the same way we did...so maybe either way, it'll work out?

freedumb said...

Whhoops, sorry I think I said "Good post man!" Please disregard the "man" part lol...

Anonymous said...

I really think it depends on the person too though.

My parents paid for my education in full (it's cheaper over here) and I lived at home (the done thing here too) but I didn't feel the need to go mental. I attended classes, handed things in on time and appreciated it all. Maybe it was because I was doing a course I enjoyed.

Anonymous said...

Here’s a point of view from the other side. Both my parents had post-graduate degrees and instilled in me a deep appreciation for education and the expectation that I would attend college. But they didn’t set aside a cent for my college, nor did they discuss with me that college actually cost money so that I should look into financial aid or save money myself. I spent four years working close to full-time hours at sometimes crappy part-time jobs to pay for state school tuition, rent, and mac n’ cheese. I sold my blood/plasma at every opportunity, drove unsafe cars, and lived in dirty, unsafe neighborhoods to scrimp by. This lifestyle took its toll on my health, sanity, and grades. Even though I was paying for it all myself and knew I’d have to pay again if I dropped or failed a class, the sheer exhaustion meant that I too had 1.0 GPA semesters. At the time, I really was more likely to feel despair than appreciation for my education. I didn’t have time or money for a social life; I had to drop out of the honors program, but was eventually able to graduate.
I still place a high value on education. I have had a very successful career that I know is totally attributable to my education. But I don’t think I would have appreciated it any less if I’d had some financial support in college.
I’m not going to pay for everything, but we’ve set aside enough to cover in-state tuition at a public school for my kids. I won’t put them through what I went through.

BAD said...

freedumb - I'm a man? LOL :)

baselle, dus10 d & mandy - a lot does depend on the person, but I see myself in my son in so many ways. From how determined and stubborn he can be to how reflective and loving. All I know is no matter how much money I may have to help with (which I am planning on helping - just not paying in full), I will always be there with supportive words and will trust in his decisions. My parents did that with me, and I think that made all the difference in my being able to turn things around and finish college.

anonymous - very good point about not having any help. I wouldn't want to do that to my son so I hope I can get my finances together so I can help him when the time comes. My last semester was completely funded by myself (scholarship ran out) so I had some time of ramen..ramen..ramen. I couldn't imagine going through my entire college years like you had to. Glad to hear that you succeeded and are doing well. It shows a great deal about your character and determination :)

Thanks everyone for your comments!